Instant Pot Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin is a quick and easy pressure cooker recipe with gooey cheddar and parmesan cheese. This recipe makes the perfect side dish and is great for weeknight dinners.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
Â Â Calories: 337Â Â Â Â Fat: 17GÂ Â Â Â Â Net Carbs: 32GÂ Â Â Â Â Protein:Â 16G
Click here toÂ pre-order now!
If you are a fan of decadent dishes, you will love my Instant Pot Risotto.
I have always been well known for making really good potatoes. I used to host an annual fantasy football draft party among my girlfriends. It was sort of like an end of the summer gathering. Football starts in early September. We would usually have our party Labor Day weekend.
I would grill chicken, burgers, and I always prepared scalloped potatoes. My friends nicknamed them crack potatoes because of how good they are! The name crack potatoes eventually became the nickname for all of my potato dishes. Be sure to check out my Crack Potatoes recipe for creamy mashed potatoes.
Back then, I used a flavored Philadelphia Cream Cheese cooking cream. A couple of years into my use of it, Kraft stopped distributing it.
I loved that stuff. The savory garlic flavor worked perfectly for scalloped potatoes!
The Kraft website also had a lot of recipes written up that utilized the cooking cream. My early experiences with cooking are from using the recipes on their site. When the cooking cream vanished, I was on my own to figure out a substitute. I love potatoes! I love all carbs! I had to replace the recipe!
I use broth to give the potatoes flavor and to help soften them up. Using broth was a part of my method well before the Instant Pot, but I knew it would work perfectly in the pressure cooker. Have you ever made shredded chicken in an Instant Pot using broth? Itâ€™s truly amazeballs.
I also still use cream cheese. The cream cheese makes these potatoes soooooo creamy and of course a little more cheesy!
Another one of my favorite ingredients is parmesan reggiano. It can be expensive. So if you are fine with just using cheddar cheese, by all means… go for it! Feel free to omit the parmesan reggiano. I usually catch it on sale at my local grocer. I buy up a few blocks in bulk and freeze them.
With oven baked scalloped potatoes, it can usually be a struggle to determine how long the potatoes need to bake in order to become soft. You also have to add the cheese at the perfect time, so that it doesnâ€™t overcook. Scalloped potatoes need gooey cheese.
With the Instant Pot, cook time for potatoes is dramatically reduced. The potatoes only need a few minutes to cook. Then you add the cheesy goodness and broil it all for 3-4 minutes until the cheese melts.
I use a mandolin to slice up potatoes. ThisÂ
mandolin slicerÂ from Amazon works great.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Southern Green Beans
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash Chicken Alfredo
Instant Pot Brisket
Be sure to check out step by step video instructions below!
Pin this recipe for later here.
Instant Pot Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin
- 6-7 russet potatoes peeled
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese I used reduced fat
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk I used almond
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan reggiano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chives
- Slice the potatoes into rounds about 1/4 an inch thick. I used a mandolin.
- Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot with the chicken broth.
- Cook for 2 minutes on Manual > High Pressure Cooking
- While the potatoes cook, prep the remaining ingredients and preheat the oven to broil.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- When the Instant Pot indicates it has finished, quick release the steam.
- Open the Instant Pot. Remove the potatoes and place them in the baking dish.
- Hit cancel on the Instant Pot and then Saute.
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, cream, salt, pepper, and onion powder, 1 cup of cheddar (save 1/2 cup), the parmesan reggiano, and cream cheese to the pot.
- Stir continuously until the cheese and cream cheese have melted.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the liquid mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar throughout.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle the chives throughout.